As the VP of Engineering you will enable the CTO to think about the future while you take care of the present. You will be the sort of person essential to making sure that the trains run on time by identifying the best way to lay down tracks. You can manage up as well as manage down, keeping the CTO and CPO in touch with reality. As the primary interface between engineering and the product management team you will be responsible for the development and delivery of the product.
The engineering team will look to you for day-to-day guidance and resolution of engineering issues so you need to be an expert engineer not just a manager and you will make everyone in the engineering organisation successful, fix the issues that are getting in the way of success, foster innovation and empower the engineering team to think big. You will continue the established culture of a trusting and safe environment of "Low Pressure / High Performance" where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis of healing and problem solving.
The ideal candidate will be:
- an inspiring engineer the developers can all look up to
- a great manager and a great team builder
- an excellent recruiter
- a good communicator working closely with the Product Owners
- a great issue resolver
- passionate about automating testing
- a stickler for quality
- somebody the CTO and CEO can drag in front of clients sometimes to help win big deals
Expert in the following technologies
- Java and Python programming
- Principles of software engineering and coding such as SOLID
- Docker essential (Kubernetes a bonus)
- Platform Architecture. AWS essential, Google Cloud and Azure nice to have.
- DevOps configuration as code Terraform and Ansible
- Front-end technologies including ReactJS and mobile applications
- NoSQL and SQL databases
- Agile / SCRUM methodologies
- QA processes (Test automation in particular)
- CI/CD code deployment pipelines
- Security testing, static analysis, OWASP, SOC2
- Agile and SCRUM. Ideally experience with User Story Mapping and the Servant Leader.
- Line management of teams of 10+ engineers
- Recruitment of engineers and team building
- Communication and presentation
- 25 days / year holiday
- Employee share options
- Usual working hours (9.00 - 18.00)
- Core working hours are (11:00 - 15:00)
- Board game evenings
- We believe in a good work-life balance so that "Family comes first".